Captain's Cabin

Pirate Lord of the Platinum Coast
View My Profile

graphics

Dogs have owners, Cats have staff.
Cleo on the Beach - Dianna
Find my staff on:

Blogger Button Twitter Facebook Button MySpace Button Photobucket Button


graphics


Be kind to animals!
Terry & Friend
Have lunch with Hockey Player!


graphics


House Panthers


graphics


Tuxie Gang Hideout


graphics


Pink Ladies


graphics


Coat of Many Colors


graphics


Got Nip?


graphics


Kats Cat of the Day
Nov. 7, 2007


graphics


I've been limericked






Thanks to Mickey for this award!


graphics


Extraordinary Gold Star Award
Thanks to Chey for this award!


graphics


Bloggers of the World Award
Catnip Corner has given me this wonderful award!


graphics


You make my day award
I have recieved this award from Gretchen and Mr. Hendrix!


graphics


Thinking Blogger Award
Thanks to Kitty Limericks, MoMo and Sunny for this great award!


graphics


Toadally Awesome Award

Thanks to Wild Cats Three for this award.


graphics


Inpiring Blog Award

I have received this award from Mickey.


graphics


Excellent Blog Award

Thanks to St. Louis Meezers and Wild Cat's Three for this Award!


graphics


Caring Cat Award

Mickey has given me this Award!


graphics


Award
Thanks to Sunny & Ollie for this award!


graphics


Award
Presented to me by Digicats (& Dogs) a.k.a. my Bean!


graphics


Friday, February 8, 2008

Artsy Fartsy Friday

Like many Cats, I enjoy doing arts and crafts projects. I know that paper - toilet paper and paper towels - are very popular media for Felines to work with, but myself, I prefer Styrofoam.

Art 01


Here I start out by working on the base of my project. This is a big, thick piece of Styrofoam. I start out by chewing off pieces to match my artistic vision.

Art 02


Art 03


Getting the corners rounded and giving it a nice tattered look is essential to the project.

Art 05


Satisfied with the base, I know select a long, but no less thick piece of Styrofoam to work with for the second part of this project.

Art 06


Getting the pieces placed in the right spots is very important to the overall design.

Art 07


Here I check what I have accomplished so far.

Art 08


I then take a break for a good scratch and to step back and consider what I have done.

Art 09


A look at the work in progress.

Art 10


Finally, I select a smaller, less thicker strip to work with .

Art 11


I feel this will balance the piece out well and give it a sense of grace. Grace and balance are two attributes that are very important to Feline art.

Art 12


Here I mold the pieces to fit my inner vision.

Art 13


As you can see, the work is progressing well.

Art 14


Art 15


Just a few more finishing moves.

Art 16


I decide to take a rest at this point. I believe that I have more work to do on this piece and that perhaps I will add yet another block of Styrofoam before I finish the project, but this is enough for one night.

I recommend that all Felines find a media that they enjoy working with and trying to create their own works of art.

I realize that some humans do not find our projects aesthetically pleasing, but my human is very tolerant of my artistic view and gives me free rein to create. In this, I realize that I am very fortunate.

We will return to my project over the weekend, and see how it progresses after I have had a chance to sleep on it.

I hope that this little journey into kitten crafts will inspire some of my fellow bloggers, and that they will take the time to share some of their puss projects with us.

24 comments:

Parker said...

Now that's just lovely! So full of thoughtful design!
I'm a carpet artist myself!

Ramses said...

I look forward to seeing the end result! :)

Mickey said...

Oh look!! It's a budding PiCatso!
Good job!!!!!!!
Purrs Mickey

-d ma said...

Looks like it's coming along great... You'll have to share the end product with us.

I hope you aren't eating any of that styrofoam. From my own experience it tastes a lot like rice cakes.

Icon Baxter Bentley said...

You are very talented! I really think you should have a TV show like Martha. There is a huge market for it, since many of us are "house cats" .

Thanks for the comment about Jitterbug! I have not swatted him yet, mostly because he has a cold and is Not Allowed out of the bedroom until 4+ days of medicine (which is tomorrow)

Lux said...

The almost finished piece shows all the thought and talent you have been putting into it - just amazing!

Trixie said...

Diamond you are a really good styrofoam artist. The last time we played with styrofoam Mom complained that there were little pieces stuck to us and all over the house! My preferred medium is the newspaper. It is fun to sit on it and rip strips off of it.

Tybalt said...

Diamond, you are a true artiste! I never thought styrofoam could be made into anything so stunning. I can't wait to see the finished piece.

Cheysuli and gemini said...

I think you are a great artist. Be careful not to swallow that stuff. It's bad for you.

Artsy Catsy said...

Diamond, would you like to join our staff? I'm fully convinced it would be easier for me to work with a cat artist than with these human artists, and you are obviously a cat artist extraordinaire!

Rocky

Gandalf & Grayson said...

Purrfection in the making.

We like chicken statues. White meat only, nothing but the best.

PB & J said...

That is going to be beautiful! What an interesting medium!

Daisy said...

Very, very nice composition!

Team Tabby said...

Styrofoam.....we'll have to get some for our own creations. Can't to see how your artistic efforts turn out.

Mindy & Moe

PS we got beef Temptations - we haven't tried that flavour before.

jan said...

We stand in awe.

Looking forward to your one cat show.

Misty the alpha Poodle

Sabrina, Sam and Simon said...

We are going to have to talk to momma straightaway to convince her to let us start doing art projects too ... it looks like so much fun! Stop by and visit, we have an award for you!
Sabrina, Sam and Simon

Kellie The Orange Cat said...

I love what you have done so far! You are very lucky, my Mum always takes the styrofoam away from me because she think I will eat it (Yah right, I'm just trying to do some art).

Miz Allie Cat said...

looks like your really "crafty " there ...I love my mommy's yarn bin upstairs..opps shhhh don't tell mommy...meow

PKPWV said...

Diamond, we think that is a wonderfula rt project and can't wait to see the finished project!! We see mom had her flashy box thing clicking alot of pictures of you!!

Kodak, 3 Perf and Winton

Gretchen said...

Oh, Diamond, I'm so sorry I forgot to include you on the Caring Cat Award. I knew there was one other but I didn't make a very good list. Please forgive me, I'm going back to my site and fix it right now. That was not very caring of me, was it?

I like your styro-design so far. That looks like a very fun medium to work in.

Hugs...G

Zippy, Sadie and Speedy said...

Hmm, we foresee a one cat art show at a gallery soon.

Kaz's Cats said...

Diamond, I (Tasha) cheated and saw your finished masterpiece, before I came back here and saw your artistic journey in full. I used to be a prolific paper and cardboard artist, but my Mum has put a lot of time in stifling my creativity. Seeing your work is inspiring, and I just might have a surprise or two in store for Mum...

Purrs

Tasha

Wrigley & Cobalt said...

Wonderful job, Diamond! We are very surprised you don't have styrofoam sticking all over yourself from static.

Sunny's Mommy said...

You are a magnificent artist, Diamond!