Captain's Cabin

Pirate Lord of the Platinum Coast
View My Profile

graphics

Dogs have owners, Cats have staff.
Cleo on the Beach - Dianna
Find my staff on:

Blogger Button Twitter Facebook Button MySpace Button Photobucket Button


graphics


Be kind to animals!
Terry & Friend
Have lunch with Hockey Player!


graphics


House Panthers


graphics


Tuxie Gang Hideout


graphics


Pink Ladies


graphics


Coat of Many Colors


graphics


Got Nip?


graphics


Kats Cat of the Day
Nov. 7, 2007


graphics


I've been limericked






Thanks to Mickey for this award!


graphics


Extraordinary Gold Star Award
Thanks to Chey for this award!


graphics


Bloggers of the World Award
Catnip Corner has given me this wonderful award!


graphics


You make my day award
I have recieved this award from Gretchen and Mr. Hendrix!


graphics


Thinking Blogger Award
Thanks to Kitty Limericks, MoMo and Sunny for this great award!


graphics


Toadally Awesome Award

Thanks to Wild Cats Three for this award.


graphics


Inpiring Blog Award

I have received this award from Mickey.


graphics


Excellent Blog Award

Thanks to St. Louis Meezers and Wild Cat's Three for this Award!


graphics


Caring Cat Award

Mickey has given me this Award!


graphics


Award
Thanks to Sunny & Ollie for this award!


graphics


Award
Presented to me by Digicats (& Dogs) a.k.a. my Bean!


graphics


Friday, February 15, 2008

Floofyhead Friday - Saint Valentine of the Snows

Floofy Head Friday Header



It has been little while since I last do Floofyhead Friday, but I figured with the week of love and romance, I must introduce you to the most romantic floofyhead in the house.

St. Valentine of the Snows


This is St. Valentine of the Snows. He is a real Saint...a Saint Bernard that is, and as such is enjoying the cold weather we've been having the past couple of days.

He is good floofy head and much like his brother, Hibbing the Husky, works in the house as a draft dodger. He does a very good job keeping the cold weather outside, where it belong.

He is also very popular when the tail grabbers come to visit because he has a very floofy tail (not that you can see it in these pictures) and is also very cuddly and huggable, although the tail grabbers say he is "huggaly".

St. Valentine of the Snows


St. Valentine was one of the floofyheads that was rewarded last summer by being taken to a baseball game for Dog Daze of Summer. Sadly, the game he was at get cut short when it rained, but unlike many of the other woofies there, he did not mind the thunderstorm and was very well behaved while he was hanging out on the concourse waiting for the rain to end.

Otherwise Bean said Dog Daze sort of turned into a Mike Vick promotion, which was obviously not what was intended.

She introduce St. Valentine to the people at the A.K.C. table as a "Toy St. Bernard", because he is not as big as the St. Bernard breed of dog usually gets. They can stand as tall as 27 1/2 inches at the shoulder, while St. Valentine is only a little bit taller than I am.

I have never heard our St. Valentine bark, but given how broad his chest is, I imagine that when he bark it can be heard all the way to the Wall around the World.

St. Valentine is named for a character, and a place, in Marion Zimmer Bradley's Darkover series of novels. MZB is one of my Bean's favorite writers, one of the first females to use a strong feminine protagonist in her stories. As a result she had a very hard time getting published originally. She was one of the founders for the the Society of Creative Anachronism, and is credited for naming the group. She has also been responsible for a large number of women who have started writing novels of their own in the fantasy genre, having run both a Magazine to help aspiring young writers, as well as first publishing some of today's most successful writers in her Sword and Sorceress anthology series.

The name was chosen, largely because Saint Bernards are cold weather dogs and Bean wanted something to reflect that fact. Beside he is also a Saint doubly over now.

He was adopted last year from the Greenwall Shelter on St. Valentine's Day, which also factored into his name.

Vine Line


I want to thank all of northern friends who have been posting pictures of the weather they are having outside of their homes. You have inspired with me all that snow and cold.

The past couple of days I have woken up in the morning thinking I suddenly moved to Canada, but knowing that all of you are also suffering through the cold has made it easier to bear.

I have also taken for you - or had the human take actually - a picture of the weather we are having here so that you can see what I am suffering through.

Palm trees at sunset


Looks terrible, does it not?

Vine Line


Finally, my Bean was digging through her collection of beads last night, and finded some nice antique rose beads. I have put these on and taken a picture for my beloved mancat Zed Monster:

Miss Diamond Emerald-Eyes


You can, of course, click on the picture to bigify it, so that you can see the beads better.

I do have to say that one of the things I really love about Zed Monster is that he is not one to write poetry. Although I must say he did an especially lovely job on the poem that he wrote for me on Bad Kitty Cats Journal.

After reading Tripper's poem to Parker, reading poetry is not something I wish to spend a lot of time doing. Not that there was anything wrong with that poem mind you. It's just that it's going to be really tough to top it!

Just a reminder that Merlin and the Snotfaced teen will he holding Bad Kitty Cats Festival of Chaos this weekend at Bad Kitty Cats Journal. Need I say the optional theme is Valentine's?

Since Not the Mama has been showing off the collages made for him by his friend Janna at Jannagraphics, perhaps I will fire up our collage making software and make a Valentine's day collage of Zed Monster and myself. It just seems appropriate!

21 comments:

Dragonheart & Merlin said...

St. Valentine is a lovely floofyhead. Our mom enjoys reading Marion Zimmer Bradley's books too. She reads lots of fantasy novels.

Tybalt said...

Congratulations on the romance between you and Zed Monster!

Your St. Valentine is a very handsome doggie floofyhead. Thanks for posting the picture of your weather, Diamond. I bet the northern kitties will love you even more for it . . . you are all heart. Hee hee. :P

DEBRA said...

Aww St Valentine is so cute and floofy!

We are lucky here in Florida we have more warm days than cold...

Purrs
Abby
♥♥♥♥

Cheysuli and gemini said...

You look like you are having great weather!

Bounce, Lucy and Trixie said...

It was nice to meet St. Valentine and learn so much about him! I'm sorry you have to suffer with so much nice weather and sunny days. I can't wait for summer!

Gandalf & Grayson said...

We are also glad we do not have snows. St Valentine looks like a nice woofie to take a nap on! You red bling totally rocks!

jan said...

Your floofyheads are so lucky. It is little known but Poodles have ingrained killer instincts which we hone on floofyheads.

Our human once had a collection of them but now they have been reduced to a pile of fake fur and dog spit.

Misty the alpha (killer) Poodle

Daisy said...

You look pretty wearing those beads!

I agree that my cute cat contest photo was not my best, but you had to take a picture with the photographer's thumb in the photo! My Mommie had trouble taking me and her thumb in the same shot.

Today is another beautiful day in Florida!

Mickey said...

Diamond,your floofy head dog is cute.Just the kind of dog I like...stuffed :)Even through the sunrays,I can see that things go not look as lush and green as when things are warmer. One thing we do have,and that is a great working furnace so we are toasty warm.We don't go outdoors.It's cold out there!!
Purrs Mickey

PeeEss: I like Zed Monster.He's cool ;)

Gretchen said...

Your fluffhead is adorable. And important.

We have sun shine. Yay! It's streaming in through our windows.

Hugs...G

Sunny's Mommy said...

Suffering? You call sunshine and palm trees suffering?! LOL You don't know what suffering is :-p

We have been very fortunate where we live not to have had a lot of snow or even one major snow storm (this is not usual, and knock on wood). I really feel for all those who've been getting socked with snow. I know what it's like. Still as lucky as I am, I really wish spring would get here and it'd warm up *%!#@!#. I want to go outside and have it be nice!

I hate winter.

Kellie The Orange Cat said...

St. Valentine of the Snows looks like a very nice floofyhead! He seems very well behaved for a woofie.

I hope you had a great Valentines Day.

Kellie The Orange Cat said...

Oh yah, your weather looks JUST dreadfull, how will you go on......

Zippy, Sadie and Speedy said...

We're really glad our pikshers of snow and cold help yoo feel so not lone in dis. Maybe St. Valentine da floofyhead can help keep yoo warm.

-d ma said...

Saint V does look very huggaly.

sorry about your weather. I don't know what I would do without 40 below wind chills...

Name: Mr. Hendrix said...

What a handsome floofyhead St. Valentine is! I hope you get to snuggle with him sometimes. He looks very warm...and soft.

I'm very happy for you and Zed Monster! I can't wait to see your post this weekend.

Name: Mr. Hendrix said...

PS I reread the info on the Bird Count website and there is no rule against eating the birds when counting them so enjoy!

Bad Kitty Cats & Megan said...

Oh how I adore my Diamond Emerald Eyes. Such a wonder you could love a Bad Kitty such as myself.

Wowza on your beautiful photograph, you do certainly bring out the charm in those beads. Your beauty outshines their loveliness.

That woofie, very good protector he would make for other mancats who would try and steal you away from me. I am not a jealous mancat, friendship is important, but my heart would be sad if you left me for one who could offer you more of the world.

Sigh.... I think I am love sick. Of course I will wait to see the post of you and I. I shall continue to serve my sentence in prison and dream of you.

Love and Kisses

Yours Truly

Zed Monster

(thank you for being patient with me, romance is a new experience and one i hope to manage correctly.)

Bad Kitty Cats & Megan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Bad Kitty Cats & Megan said...

Please excuse my slippery paws, we posted the previous comment twice. Blaming That Woman.

Purrs and Purrs

Yours

Zed Monster

Jan said...

St. Valentine of the Snows is a handsome Floofyhead. We hope you had a good Valentine's Day.

jans funny farm