Captain's Cabin

Pirate Lord of the Platinum Coast
View My Profile

graphics

Dogs have owners, Cats have staff.
Cleo on the Beach - Dianna
Find my staff on:

Blogger Button Twitter Facebook Button MySpace Button Photobucket Button


graphics


Be kind to animals!
Terry & Friend
Have lunch with Hockey Player!


graphics


House Panthers


graphics


Tuxie Gang Hideout


graphics


Pink Ladies


graphics


Coat of Many Colors


graphics


Got Nip?


graphics


Kats Cat of the Day
Nov. 7, 2007


graphics


I've been limericked






Thanks to Mickey for this award!


graphics


Extraordinary Gold Star Award
Thanks to Chey for this award!


graphics


Bloggers of the World Award
Catnip Corner has given me this wonderful award!


graphics


You make my day award
I have recieved this award from Gretchen and Mr. Hendrix!


graphics


Thinking Blogger Award
Thanks to Kitty Limericks, MoMo and Sunny for this great award!


graphics


Toadally Awesome Award

Thanks to Wild Cats Three for this award.


graphics


Inpiring Blog Award

I have received this award from Mickey.


graphics


Excellent Blog Award

Thanks to St. Louis Meezers and Wild Cat's Three for this Award!


graphics


Caring Cat Award

Mickey has given me this Award!


graphics


Award
Thanks to Sunny & Ollie for this award!


graphics


Award
Presented to me by Digicats (& Dogs) a.k.a. my Bean!


graphics


Monday, February 25, 2008

Myth Monday - Honeysuckle Toys

Honeysuckles are arching shrubs or twining vines in the family Caprifoliaceae, native to the Northern Hemisphere. There are about 180 species of honeysuckle, with by far the greatest diversity in China, where over 100 species occur; by comparison, Europe and North America have only about 20 native species each.

The leaves are opposite, simple oval, and from 1–10 cm long; most are deciduous but some are evergreen. Many of the species have sweetly-scented, bell-shaped flowers that produce a sweet, edible nectar. The fruit is a red, blue or black berry containing several seeds; in most species the berries are mildly poisonous, but a few (notably Lonicera caerulea) have edible berries.

Much like Catnip, the scent of honeysuckle wood is mildly intoxicating to Felines. Kitty Kottage, in Edmonton, is one of the makers of a like of honeysuckle toys and sprays that you might enjoy.

Only the berries of the kind of honeysuckle used in the toys are reported as being mildly toxic to humans. The shrubs are harvested in the spring or the fall when there are no leaves or berries present. Only the wood of the shrub is used in the toys. Harvesting the honeysuckle at these times makes it easier to keep the honeysuckle wood free of leaves and berries.

Honeysuckle Toys


Honeysuckle toys made from the wood of the plant are 100% safe for virtually all cats. There has been one report of a mild allergic reaction in one cat to the plant, but this seems to be in singular incident in much the same way my human is allergic to certain forms of pollen.

I do not know if Cats which do not respond to Catnip will respond to Honeysuckle. This may be an interesting test if any one of you out in Blogosphere cannot use catnip, to try honeysuckle and see if enjoy it.

I get my honeysuckle - as well as my one pound bag of catnip which you see in Saturday's post - from Catnipetc.com. I get the Honeysuckle gift set which includes the spray, pom-poms, knots, bowties and spiders. I generally like the spider to play with better than the other toys.

Playing with my Honeysuckle Toys


I do not like even the quiet sound the spray makes, so Bean will usually go into the other room to spray the toys before bring them into me to play with.

Playing with my Honeysuckle Toys


I do many of the same things when I am playing with honeysuckle that I do with catnip. This includes rolling around, cuddling the items splayed with the honeysuckle and trying to lick the spray off. I may become very aggressive during my play session.

Cat,toys


Also like catnip, I will go into a catatonic state after I have played for about 10 minutes. I just tire myself out and need to rest for a while.

As I say, this is a nice alternative to catnip if you want to try something different. Not too many cats know about these products as they are not as widely distributed as catnip, but it is certainly worth checking into.

21 comments:

Karen Jo said...

That sounds very interesting. I never knew that the scent of honeysuckle affected cats. About your question, I also wondered if the site running the contest just wanted free advertising, as you cannot seem to get to the contest information from the main site, just from the URL they provided me. It does seem like a legitimate site, though.

Parker said...

Mommmmmmmmmmmmmmm - I want some!

Bounce, Lucy and Trixie said...

We have never heard of honeysuckle for cats but it sounds really good! Mom said she used to suck on sweet honeysuckle flowers when she was little (that must have been like a squillion years ago).

Cheysuli and gemini said...

You look like you are enjoying that!

Irishcoda said...

That is cool, I didn't know about honeysuckle either! I learn something new everyday :)

Kellie The Orange Cat said...

Diamond, it is such a relief to find another cat that suffers from BHS. I thought I was alone in my suffering!

Donny, Marie & Casey sent me a piece of Honeysuckly wood in my secret paw package. I like it alot too.

Daisy said...

I think I want to try some, too!

Tybalt said...

That sounds very interesting! I will have to see if my mommy can get me some honeysuckle toys . . . I already know I love catnip!

-d ma said...

my boyz have never had honeysuckle (that I know of). I'm not sure they need to be introduced to another substance that makes them goofy.

p.s. liked what you did to the photo of diego-san over at house panthers. it looks really cool.

Name: Mr. Hendrix said...

I've never tried honeysuckle. Thanks for the linkies to these sites. I'll take mommy's credit card and order a whole bunch...I mean, um, I'll ask politely if mommy will get me some...

You look so happy with your toys! Enjoy your honeysuckle coma!!

Artsy Catsy said...

That's fascinating, Diamond! We didn't know we liked honeysuckle. We have some growing in our yard, so I'll need to check it out this spring!

Rocky

PS: We're glad you like your necklace and can't wait to see you wearing it!

wildcatsthree said...

I also didn't know honeysuckle affected kitties like catnip. Very interesting.

Sunny's Mommy said...

I had never heard of that, very interesting.

PB & J said...

Sounds interesting - we'll have to have Mommy look into those toys!

Scooby, Shaggy & Scout said...

Very helpful and informative! We love those spider toys that come with it!

WillThink4Wine said...

Oh no, what if Honeysuckle is causing your Blurry Head Syndrome?

Princess said...

Nice toys!
Catnip makes me happy. I am addicted and I am at peace with that. You only live once, right?


purr

Eric and Flynn said...

We have a honeysuckle bush growing in our garden and I like to chew the bark and rub on it.Catnip duzn't do anyfing furr me. Flynn's the niphead in our fambly.
Eric

Tesla said...

Wow! Honeysuckle huh? I might have to try that, cuz i do not seem to respond to catnips. Mommy went out and bought me my very own catnip toy- Thanks to your AMAZING postes, but, i seem to like my regular mouseys just as much.

Maybe, this honeysuckle thing might work.

can yoo think of any reason i wouldna like my catnips?

Zippy, Sadie and Speedy said...

Our Little Pink Pig (LPP) has a piece of honeysuckle in him...a furry old frend of mom's made him originally fur Punkin and she shared him wif Zippy and now, when we all need to calm down, we pull him out and pass him around. LPP time is the only time all three of us can stand close to each other without hissing.

catsynth said...

Wow, we didn't know about honeysuckle.
But you look so playful and then relaxed in that last photo - maybe we should try some.