He refused to leave the kittens, even when thick smoke engulfed them. He stayed by the box until firefighters were able to rescue the animals.
Leo was not in great shape when he was finally taken from the burning house, suffering from smoke inhalation.
Happily the fire fighters were able to revive him with oxygen and a heart massage, and he recovered quickly.
Leo and the kittens are now safe and sound. Here is brief CNN Video on the story that is on You Tube:
Overnight has become furry cold here in Cape Coral. Cold enough for winter. Cold enough to turn the cat heater on to warm the cat.
Remember to be careful when turning heating devices on for the first time. Check to make sure the vents are clear and that the system is in proper working order.
You do not wish to risk a house fire, especially when you may not have a heroic woofie like Leo around to save you.