Captain's Cabin

Pirate Lord of the Platinum Coast
View My Profile

graphics

Dogs have owners, Cats have staff.
Cleo on the Beach - Dianna
Find my staff on:

Blogger Button Twitter Facebook Button MySpace Button Photobucket Button


graphics


Be kind to animals!
Terry & Friend
Have lunch with Hockey Player!


graphics


House Panthers


graphics


Tuxie Gang Hideout


graphics


Pink Ladies


graphics


Coat of Many Colors


graphics


Got Nip?


graphics


Kats Cat of the Day
Nov. 7, 2007


graphics


I've been limericked






Thanks to Mickey for this award!


graphics


Extraordinary Gold Star Award
Thanks to Chey for this award!


graphics


Bloggers of the World Award
Catnip Corner has given me this wonderful award!


graphics


You make my day award
I have recieved this award from Gretchen and Mr. Hendrix!


graphics


Thinking Blogger Award
Thanks to Kitty Limericks, MoMo and Sunny for this great award!


graphics


Toadally Awesome Award

Thanks to Wild Cats Three for this award.


graphics


Inpiring Blog Award

I have received this award from Mickey.


graphics


Excellent Blog Award

Thanks to St. Louis Meezers and Wild Cat's Three for this Award!


graphics


Caring Cat Award

Mickey has given me this Award!


graphics


Award
Thanks to Sunny & Ollie for this award!


graphics


Award
Presented to me by Digicats (& Dogs) a.k.a. my Bean!


graphics


Monday, December 1, 2008

Myth Monday: The Snow Queen

Winter,Christmas


The Snow Queen (Sneedronningen) is a fairy tale by author Hans Christian Andersen (1805 - 1875). The tale was first published in 1845, and centers on the struggle between good and evil as experienced by a little boy and girl, Kay and Gerda.

The story is one of Andersen's longest and is considered by scholars, critics, and readers alike as one of his best. It is regularly included in selected tales and collections of his work as well as being frequently reprinted in illustrated storybook editions for children. The tale has been adapted in various media including animated film and television drama.

In the story, the Snow Queen, is the queen of the snowflakes or "snow bees", who travels throughout the world with the snow. Her palace and gardens are in the lands of permafrost, specifically Spitsbergen. She is successful in abducting Kay after he has fallen victim to the splinters of the troll-mirror. She promises to free Kay if he can spell "eternity" with the pieces of ice in her palace.

She is not the hero of the story of course. But as bees have a queen, so the snowflakes have a queen which is why they are called "Snow Bees". They sting with their frosty chill and guard her palace. Her throne sits on frozen lake, which she calls the "Mirror of Reason".

Interesting enough, the Snow Queens palace is said to be located near the North Pole, but Santa Claus does not figure into the story.

The story was made into a 1957 animated film, and then later influenced a 2002 made for TV movie.

You can find the story online at The Literature Network. It is not long and you should be able to read the whole thing in one short sitting.

It is a very pretty story, but of course, I like the Snow Queen the best, even though she does not come out on top.

For this month, my blog is now the Ice Palace in Spitsbergen, and I am the Snow Queen, sitting on her throne on the Mirror of Reason. Watch out for my snow bees, or they will sting you!

11 comments:

Jewelgirl said...

OOOOOHHH AWWWWWE You have made your
site into a Snow Queens delight!
I love it!

mog said...

Beautiful, love the new look and you make a perfect Snow Queen. Purrrrrrrrs

Cory said...

So beautiful! I want to be a snow queen too!

purrrs- Cory

-d ma said...

after having to shovel yesterday, i am not happy with the snow queen.

Christine and FAZ said...

Isn't a bit cold to be a snow queen? FAZ

Tybalt said...

Oh! How totally Pawsome! I'm going to have to get mommy to read that to me.

Sunny's Mommy said...

Uh oh. You have snow bees :-0

Cafe Cats said...

Your bloggie looks so purrrrrrrty after the Snow Queen touched it!

Bebe

Eduardo said...

OMD! Your blog looks SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO Fantastic! I wish my blog looked as great as yours! Thank you Diamond for telling us the history of The Snow Queen!
Hugs & Snugs
Eduardo the Snuggle Puggle

Sweet Praline said...

I can't wait to see this month's theme play out! This should be beautiful!

Evie/VampyVictor said...

Ohh Miss Diamond I think you make a extra beautiful snow queen!
I am not scared-ed of your snow bees! I will eat them! and spit out there stings and make a little necklace for you!
hehehe hrrrrm on second thoughts maybe not! ;)

V-V