Captain's Cabin

Pirate Lord of the Platinum Coast
View My Profile

graphics

Dogs have owners, Cats have staff.
Cleo on the Beach - Dianna
Find my staff on:

Blogger Button Twitter Facebook Button MySpace Button Photobucket Button


graphics


Be kind to animals!
Terry & Friend
Have lunch with Hockey Player!


graphics


House Panthers


graphics


Tuxie Gang Hideout


graphics


Pink Ladies


graphics


Coat of Many Colors


graphics


Got Nip?


graphics


Kats Cat of the Day
Nov. 7, 2007


graphics


I've been limericked






Thanks to Mickey for this award!


graphics


Extraordinary Gold Star Award
Thanks to Chey for this award!


graphics


Bloggers of the World Award
Catnip Corner has given me this wonderful award!


graphics


You make my day award
I have recieved this award from Gretchen and Mr. Hendrix!


graphics


Thinking Blogger Award
Thanks to Kitty Limericks, MoMo and Sunny for this great award!


graphics


Toadally Awesome Award

Thanks to Wild Cats Three for this award.


graphics


Inpiring Blog Award

I have received this award from Mickey.


graphics


Excellent Blog Award

Thanks to St. Louis Meezers and Wild Cat's Three for this Award!


graphics


Caring Cat Award

Mickey has given me this Award!


graphics


Award
Thanks to Sunny & Ollie for this award!


graphics


Award
Presented to me by Digicats (& Dogs) a.k.a. my Bean!


graphics


Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Tuxi Tail Tuesday

Miss Diamond as the Big Black Christmas Cat


Purrhaps you remember, last year about this time, I tell you about how my bean is a Baby Eating Ogress. This weekend, while we doing research on Santa's elves, we find the tales of Gryla, the ogress, who live in a cave with "The Big Black Christmas Cat".

We could find little of this legend online, but evidently there is a Dutch tradition for it as well. Bean says she will have to ask Loek or Smitty when they come into town for spring training, see if they know bout it. According the legend, The Big Black Christmas cat would go out around Christmas and collect the children who had been exceptionally naughty during the year and would take them back to Gryla's cave, where the ogress would then eat them.

This seem a little bit more of punishment than getting coal in your stocking for Christmas, does it not?

But of course, Bean is laughing at this and she say "WELL, if am a baby eating ogress, you my darling are THE BIG BLACK CHRISTMAS CAT!"

Humph.

So of course, you have all been very good kitties all year long, because I would want to have to drag any exceptional naughty ones back to the cave. Bad enough I got to put with Tabby brofur. Don't need any more exceptionally naughty cats around.

Need I say, she get amusement out of the strangest things?

You better not shout,
You better not cry,
You better not pout,
I'm telling you why,
The Big Black Christmas Cat is coming, around...

7 comments:

T'Abby Normal said...

Diamond,
That sounds like a really interesting story. If you want to read a couple other important stories about black cats (although they are not Christmas related), there is a great one in Neil Gaiman's Sandman (comic book) series called "The Dream of 1000 cats," and another super one in his book of short stories "Smoke and Mirrors," although the title of the story escapes me now.

Purrs,
Stygia

PS. Be sure to stop by our blog tomorrow for Abby's b-day party. We promise to seat you at a different table than Tris.

Cheysuli and gemini said...

I think you are a big black Christmas cat. Momma would love to find you delivering gifts or being a gifts!

catsynth said...

Definitely a big black Christmas cat, in the best sense.

We're not too thrilled with that particular legend, though. What would the kids do around holiday time if they ran into a black cat? :(

mog said...

Best description of the legend I found is at http://www.mountainx.com/holiday/120507yuletide
I did better searching under Gryla orgrss.

I really love your scrapbooking images.

Sweet Praline said...

The big, black, Christmas cat is welcome to come to my house anytime!

Evie/VampyVictor said...

OoooOO Miss Diamond you sets my tail a floof with talk like that!~
I iz a little scared-ed but strangely excited! :))

V-V

Sunny's Mommy said...

Well you wouldn't have to stop here. Rascal may be an MB but she deserves a pass based on her advanced age ;-)