Captain's Cabin

Pirate Lord of the Platinum Coast
View My Profile

graphics

Dogs have owners, Cats have staff.
Cleo on the Beach - Dianna
Find my staff on:

Blogger Button Twitter Facebook Button MySpace Button Photobucket Button


graphics


Be kind to animals!
Terry & Friend
Have lunch with Hockey Player!


graphics


House Panthers


graphics


Tuxie Gang Hideout


graphics


Pink Ladies


graphics


Coat of Many Colors


graphics


Got Nip?


graphics


Kats Cat of the Day
Nov. 7, 2007


graphics


I've been limericked






Thanks to Mickey for this award!


graphics


Extraordinary Gold Star Award
Thanks to Chey for this award!


graphics


Bloggers of the World Award
Catnip Corner has given me this wonderful award!


graphics


You make my day award
I have recieved this award from Gretchen and Mr. Hendrix!


graphics


Thinking Blogger Award
Thanks to Kitty Limericks, MoMo and Sunny for this great award!


graphics


Toadally Awesome Award

Thanks to Wild Cats Three for this award.


graphics


Inpiring Blog Award

I have received this award from Mickey.


graphics


Excellent Blog Award

Thanks to St. Louis Meezers and Wild Cat's Three for this Award!


graphics


Caring Cat Award

Mickey has given me this Award!


graphics


Award
Thanks to Sunny & Ollie for this award!


graphics


Award
Presented to me by Digicats (& Dogs) a.k.a. my Bean!


graphics


Wednesday, August 26, 2009

If you could talk...

What would you say? That's what most cat caretakers want to know. Given the gift of speech, what would their cat say to them.

A recent poll shows that 17% think that we would say "I Love You." Of course, we do say this, each in our own special way.

Another 12% thinks their cat would be asking for a lap, or (11%) petting, (10%) a sample of human food, and (10%) a treat.

Most of the attention getting categories all fell together.

Myself, I am usually asking for a treat, or to go outside. Tabby brofur is asking to fed, to left alone so he can sleep, or to go outside.

Mostly we would not be saying "I love you". That reserved for special occasions, not everyday chatter.

Here is the results of the poll:

* I love you 17%
* Sit down so I can get on your lap 12%
* Give me a nice petting now 11%
* How about a little of whatever you are eating? 10%
* How about a treat? 10%
* Shut up and feed me 8%
* Let me outside 7%
* Don't mess with me or I'll bite/scratch you 5%
* Why do you work so much? 5%
* Not so loud - I'm napping 5%
* Hurry home - I gotta go 1%
* Go to work so I can nap 2%
* Other: 7%

While we are not the sort of animals to go chatting around on our blue tooth headsets like humans, or even flapping about singing like birds, we do communicate quite well.

Body language is our biggest tool as we make only a limited amount of vocal sounds. Tail signals, posture and other factors display our moods and our messages. Trust me, few caretakes mistake our meeting when we say "FEED ME".

Learning our other signals just takes a bit more observation. We are always very clear and concise about what we are saying.

So while you think we are wordless creatures, we really are not. Just not quite as chatty as say...a lap woofie.

8 comments:

Katie and Da Katz said...

dis iz a furry intursting poll.

I knohs wht Ize says!

I wants out Out OUT!!! now. Now NOW!!! oh pooh...no out today

♥Da fambly cat-a-blog kitties♥ said...

Momma says that us kitties and the doggies talk to her alla' the time☺

catsynth said...

Luna is very communicative both in terms of voice and body language, and I think we have learned to understand one another.

Samantha, Mr. Tigger and Maverick said...

Oh my gosh!! What talkative creatures we would be!! I would say FEED ME NOW!! (Samantha)
Your (formally FL now)TX furiends,

Name: Mr. Hendrix said...

i talk all the time! just cause it isn't human english doesn't mean i can't communicate. my beans are pretty sharp when it comes to interpreting my body language and my "talking"

cool poll. i think i'd be demanding treats mostly. or, at this point, "make that baby stop screaming!"

Sweet Praline said...

I talk to my mom all of the time and it's usually asking for treats!

MoMo said...

After living with a kitty for a while one tends to have some form of non verbal communication that works quite well.

Patty Skypants said...

Mai mom googled me and found my pikshur on ur blog an she LIKES it! Me likes ur blog! xxoo Bhu

Pee Ess: The Unafurrsity of Missouri is in Columbia. We iz furry eduCATed!